Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Conceptual Art

To me, conceptual art is a category that, at first, does not make sense to the viewer. Conceptual art is also something that may never make sense to the viewer unless they read the artist's point of view on the work of art in question and try to understand it from the artist’s perspective. It may bewilder the mind, making the viewer wonder why these works of art were even created.
As in the work of art with the toilet in the middle, it may cause viewers to think, why was this made? What purpose does it have? How can I consider this a beautiful and breathtaking work of art?
For me, the work of art with the toilet in the middle is 100% conceptual. When I first heard about this work of art, I pondered how this could even be called art. How could a maze of plexiglass and an open toilet sitting in the center of the maze mean anything?
My own preferences about conceptual art are somewhat scattered. On one hand, I am really intrigued by certain pieces of conceptual art. I can stare at them for long periods of time, perhaps trying to figure out how it works, or what it means. Sometimes I am even intrigued by things that I have no clue about the meaning of the object that is in question. For the most part, the more eccentric the better, because it seems to get more intriguing and different the more peculiar it gets. On the other hand, though, sometimes I'm turned off by pieces of conceptual art that I view as odd or disturbing. If it is really challenging for me to see the beauty or meaning behind it and I find it disquieting then I find that I might be somewhat opposed to that work of art.

4 comments:

Kelly Bardwil said...

I had a very similar definition to you. I also talked about how a lot of time pieces of art a very intriguing yet you can't find the concept behind it unless you have the author to tell you. I think that is why I like conceptual art so much, It nice not always to come up with an answer for something. Very insightful Post!

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction as you when viewing examples of conceptual art. I know that art is supposed to be about viewing different concepts, but I think that it's up to the individual to decide whether they like it or not. Even though I'm not a big fan of conceptual art, I would still be open to it and then decide for myself.

Danielle Carmassi said...

I also have a similar experience with conceptual art- some I am drawn to and others I find uncomfortable and can do without. I think more than other art forms we have studied, conceptual art has the power to disturb me more than other forms.

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Hi Marissa,

While I'm here, I'm delivering a nudge for being tardy with the Conceptual Art post. This nudge will result in a 5 point deduction when the blogs are graded after this week. To avoid further point deductions, be sure to get caught up.

Aside from that, your blog is looking good!
Michelle