Friday, May 30, 2008

Line and Space

I am trying to apply key terms such as outline and implied line to my daily life by looking at things around me and trying to identify which key terms they relate to. For example, I fit people for glasses for a living. I deal with many different types of lenses with different base curves and unique things such as Franklin bifocals or ultexes and even progressives many of the time. Obviously lines are very important in optics. Optics is in fact all based upon light refraction, which is basically about the way a ray of light reflects off of the retina. All of these rays are types of lines. As far as contour lines go, I have noticed in my friend's room that there is a wrestling poster of Stone Cold Steve Austin, and it shows multiple pictures of him, some looking farther away than others. All of this has to do with contour lines and directing and tricking our eyes into thinking the images are farther away than they really are. Linear perspective is portrayed in a picture my mother has framed on her wall. It gives the illusion of a landscape with the water farther away, and the beach closer up. This gives it a three-dimensional effect because it gives depth to the picture, instead of everything looking as if it is on the same plane. Everything is becoming more visually interesting because I'm starting to look at things such as pictures and paintings through more advanced eyes, rather than through the eyes of an amatuer.

2 comments:

Kelly Bardwil said...

You really understood the concepts from the last unit. That was really impressive you could relate all the types of lines to aspects of your work. I too feel like I am now seeing the world through more advanced eyes. It's so cool!

George Tilton said...

Marissa, I couldn't agree more. I too have never been able to appreciate and comprehend the fantastic visual perceptions of linear perspective and its accompanying line varieties. Now as I look at photographs of Stone Cold Steve Austin I see much more then a crazy beer drinking wrestler, but I see the lines and contours which he is made of.